Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Debt advice

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, rent or any other money that you owe us, let us know as soon as possible and we may be able to help.

Our aim is to ensure that residents receive the support that they need to keep them secure in their homes, and we are keen to work with people to help them to pay their debts, offering budgeting support and payment plans based on their individual circumstances.

What to do if your debt builds up

Please do not ignore your debt, it will not go away.

If we have no contact from residents that have not paid money owed to us we will have no choice but to begin recovery action. We will write to you detailing that payment is due and the support we can offer. You should contact us as soon as you receive any correspondence from us.

If you have concerns about paying your rent, council tax, or other money owed to us, or you are struggling to manage, please call us on 0344 980 3333 for a referral to our money advisers, or if you prefer, to speak to an independent organisation.

For details on our overall approach to personal debt see our debt policy.

If you are eligible, the Client Hardship Service (CHS) can offer emergency financial assistance, provide essential household items and furniture and give advice.

Help we can offer


For council tenants:

Council tax

You still need to pay your Council Tax, or it will be difficult to manage in the future. If you are struggling to pay, see our Difficulty paying council tax pages.


Difficulty paying your business rates


For information about benefits and Universal Credit that you might be able to claim, see our Benefits and support pages.

Advice from local independent agencies

We can help people access free specialist independent advice for issues including debts, and problems with benefits and accommodation.

Their friendly staff and volunteers are highly trained and can provide free support when residents need it most.

If you would like free independent advice, please see contact details below:

  • Norfolk Citizens Advice offer a broad range of advice including, debt, benefit checks, housing, and employment. Tel: 03444 111444 or go to and select email advice.
  • Age UK offer help and advice to people over 50, as well as their family and carers, about benefits, housing, debt, money, lasting power of attorney, social care, and support. Tel: 01603 496333 or email:
  • Shelter provide legal advice on housing, covering tenancies, private and social housing, evictions, and homelessness. Tel: 03445 151860 or email:
  • Norfolk Community Law Service offers free, independent legal advice to people who may not otherwise be able to access it. They can help with debt, employment, family and general law, discrimination, immigration, welfare benefits (appeals and tribunals only), and domestic abuse. Tel: 01603 496623 or email:
  • Mancroft Advice Project offers help and advice young people aged 11-25. They can help with debt, employment, education and training, housing and homelessness, welfare rights, counselling and relationships. Tel: 0800 0744454 or email
  • Equal Lives is led by disabled people for people with mental/physical disabilities. They can offer advice and support on matters such as debt, employment, welfare benefits, and discrimination. Tel: 01508 491210 or email:

National debt and money advice available

The Money Advice Service

How to prioritise debt and manage expenses

Budgeting tips and tools

The Norfolk Community Directory lists budgeting resources that can be helpful in managing money.

MoneyHelper brings together the support and services of three government-backed financial guidance providers: the Money Advice Service, the Pensions Advisory Service and Pension Wise. It provides information on budgeting, banking, insurance and everyday money spending.

Feedback button
Feedback button