Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Planning control in conservation areas

Within a conservation area there is greater planning control over:

  • changes to external features like doors and windows
  • satellite dishes
  • alterations to roofs
  • the demolition and erection of garden walls
  • the building of extensions
  • building new structures
  • demolishing buildings.

The Planning Portal has useful guides on common projects and an interactive house.

Check if you need planning permission

The council operates a pre-application service and full details of the types of advice available and charges.

Pre-application service

Demolishing a non-listed building within a conservation area

The demolition of a non-listed building situated within a conservation area and having a cubic capacity of more than 118 cubic metres will need planning permission.

Building regulations for replacement doors and windows

Special consideration is given to preserving buildings of historic and architectural interest in conservation areas. This means features like single glazed timber sash windows can be replaced on a like for like basis without having to meet the required energy efficient standards.

We can provide advice on ways to make your historic building more energy efficient.

Feedback button
Feedback button