New premises licence
A premises licence is required to authorise the use of a premises for licensable activities. This includes the sale or supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment (the provision of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).
Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:
- a person who carries on, or proposes to carry on, a business which involves the use of the premises for the licensable activities to which the application relates
- a person who makes the application pursuant to:
(i)any statutory function discharged by that person which relates to those licensable activities, or
(ii)any function discharged by that person by virtue of Her Majesty’s prerogative
- a recognised club
- a charity
- the proprietor of an educational institution
- a health service body
- a person who is registered under Part 2 of the Care Standards Act 2000 (c. 14) in respect of an independent hospital in Wales
- a person who is registered under Chapter 2 of Part 1 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 in respect of the carrying on of a regulated activity (within the meaning of that Part) in an independent hospital in England
- the chief officer of police of a police force in England and Wales
- a person of such other description as may be prescribed.
Please note - applicants must not be under 18 years of age.
How to apply
- Apply for a premises licence
- Apply for a provisional statement
- Apply for a designated premises supervisor to be disapplied
- Tell us about a minor change to your premises
- Apply to vary your premises licence
- Apply to transfer your premises licence
- Notify us of an interest in the premises under section 178
- Apply for an interim authority notice
- Submit a consent to transfer
- Notify us of your request to be removed as a designated premises supervisor
- Submit a consent to be designated
- Apply to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as a designated premises supervisor
- Tell us about a change to your existing application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as a designated premises supervisor
- Notify us of a change of name or address
- Extend or renew your annual fee payment
Will tacit consent apply?
Yes. This means that if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period of 56 calendar days (for new or variation applications) you will be able to act as though your application is granted.
Tacit approval does not apply for an application for a minor variation to a premises or club licence.
Appeals should be made to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision.